Gynecology/Obstetrics Nurse will care for women from puberty to menopause. The Gynecology/Obstetrics Nurse will be responsible for assisting the Obstetrician/Gynecologist, helping women during pregnancy, as well as women with health issues with their reproductive system. The Gynecology/Obstetrics Nurse will be responsible for teaching women, and teenage girls, about physical and sexual health providing information on treatments from birth control to mammograms. The Gynecology/Obstetrics Nurse activities are performed consistent with their education and training, and in accordance with facility policies and procedures and applicable professional standards. The Gynecology/Obstetrics Nurse will work in OceanMed’s outpatient environment.
Required Hours of Work
The candidate will be required to work 45 hours per week, which will include 1 hour lunch break per work day. Working hours will generally be Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm, however these are subject to change.
Role and Responsibilities
Assist the on-site Obstetrician/Gynecologist with patient’s routine checkups, pelvic exams or pap smears.
Assist with taking patient samples, swabs, specimens, pulses, temperatures and blood pressures, and occasionally blood, urine, or other samples when required.
Assist Mammography Technologist with administering intravenous contrast to patients when necessary.
Responsible for checking in patients prior to appointments with the Gynecologist, conducting patient clinical assessment and perform necessary pre-checks as required, in accordance with professional and facility protocols, policies and guidelines.
Responsible for assisting with physical examinations, investigatory procedures and cervical smear and pregnancy tests when instructed by the on-site Gynecologist.
Prepare exam room and equipment for the physician to conduct examinations in accordance with infections disease, sterilization, and patient safety protocols, policies, and procedures.
Prepares facilities in accordance with procedural requirements; calibrates equipment as required by the institution.
Prepares and positions patient for procedures as appropriate and as directed by the physician; assists patients at end of procedure or examination.
Responsible for writing records and keeping patients’ notes up-to-date.
Ability to provide emergency first aid and treatment.
Ability to treat wounds, apply and remove dressings
Communicate with the patient in a manner appropriate to the patient’s ability to understand.
Ability to provide emotional support to patients and relatives on occasion.
Respond to patient questions and concerns regarding appointments, exam procedures and process.
Ensures patients have read, understood, complete, and signed all required documentation.
Evaluate any contraindications, insufficient patient preparation, and the patient’s inability or unwillingness to tolerate examinations and procedures.
Work with the appropriate staff to ensure quality patient care.
Review patient medical history and supporting clinical information in preparation for their appointment.
Apply independent, professional, ethical judgment, and critical thinking to optimize patient and environmental safety.
Monitors the patient’s physical condition and ensure their comfort during the procedures being performed by the physician; report patient change of status or emergency situations to the physician and other clinical staff and supervisor as appropriate.
Assume responsibility for the safety of the patients when under his/her direct care.
Operate all Health Information Systems including the Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS) and Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system to gather patient information when necessary.
Except as authorized by written facility policies and procedures, refer specific diagnostic, treatment or prognosis questions to the appropriate physician or healthcare professional.
Able to assist with invasive procedures as needed.
Completes all documentation, including computerized documentation.
Maintains stock supplies and assists administrators in determining quantities for purchase.
Performs general office duties such as (but not limited to) delivering and retrieving film, recording procedure codes for billing purposes, typing forms, and scheduling patients.
Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
Monitors flow and productivity in the department and has the capabilities to recommend improved processes.
Participates in assessing and planning nursing care requirements for OceanMed.
Responsible for performing tasks that are within the scope of his/her educational preparation, knowledge, and permitted by the policies and procedures of OceanMed, and other local, state, and federal guidelines; and the policies of the facility requesting the services.
Assume responsibility for the preventive maintenance program for all equipment used.
Perform quality control procedures to ensure that all nursing equipment operates at optimal levels.
Exercise responsibility to ensure that the nursing equipment is functioning accurately.
Carry out Quality Assurance protocols and Quality Improvement measures within the facility.
Establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with co-workers, administrators, and members of the health care team.
Foster a collaborative atmosphere with other members of the healthcare team.
Exercise responsibility for the maintenance and accuracy of facility reports, database records and logs.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
· Education: Graduate of an accredited program of Nursing with appropriate training/certification.
· Registration and Qualification: Applicants must be fully registered as a Health Practitioner in Australia, Canada, Jamaica, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom, or United States of America and hold a valid qualification certificate in Nursing.
· Training and experience: Skilled professional with a solid foundation in Nursing, with at least three years of experience in a comparable job classification preferred.
· Maintenance of current Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for HealthCare Workers or Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification for HealthCare workers.
· Educated on and compliant with HIPAA regulations; maintains strict confidentiality of client information.
· Complies with Infection Control, Standard Precautions and OSHA standards for the healthcare professional.
· Adhere to accepted professional and ethical standards.
· Provide patient services consistent with the Scope of Practice and Clinical Standards for Nursing.
· Able to wear personal protective equipment (e.g., face mask, goggles, latex/non-latex gloves) as needed.
· Ability to work effectively within role independently and with other team members.
· Ability to organize and complete work in a timely manner.
· Ability to read, write and effectively communicate in English.
· Ability to understand medical/surgical terminology.
· Health Requirements: In good health and able to work without restrictions as evidenced by a health statement.
· Demonstrated commitment to professional growth and lifelong learning (e.g., continuing medical education in the specialty area(s) performed, higher education, research, staff training, etc.).
· Demonstrated proficiency with computer skills and software programs used for documentation activities and report generation.
· Compliance with OceanMed’s pre-assignment and medical requirements including: current TB screen, or Chest X-ray and questionnaire if proof of positive TB screen; Measles/Mumps/Rubella immunizations or titers indicating immunity; Hepatitis B Information or Waiver; and any additional medical requirements of the Cayman Islands.
· Physical Demands: Stooping, turning, bending, squatting, kneeling and the ability to lift to 50 pounds; constant/repetitive standing; requires normal, correctable vision and hearing, and the ability to accurately discern color as necessary to perform job functions.
Internal Number: 001
OceanMed is the first women’s only outpatient healthcare facility in the Cayman Islands, catering to the unique and diverse needs of women through an entirely female staff.
The OceanMed mission is to provide the highest quality care through highly trained professionals utilizing state of the art equipment, techniques, and technology to ensure clinical excellence in an environment specifically designed to ensure optimal patient comfort.