PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reports to and functions under the general supervision of the Nurse Director and REI/IVF Division chief.
- Operates ultrasonic equipment and performs diagnostic procedures such as pelvic and obstetrical sonograms which require the application of ultrasonic technology (including transvaginal scanning); maintains pertinent medical and imaging records.
CUSTOMER SERVICE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviews patient history and other supporting clinical data to facilitate optimal diagnostic results.
- Explains procedures to patients to assure cooperation and optimal test results.
- Selects appropriate transducer, depending upon depth-of-field and organ to be identified.
- Conducts scanning procedures: performs a vaginal scan when indicated.
- Able to store and retrieve images using PACS
- Provides on-the-job training to students and residents, as assigned.
- Completes paper work pertinent to daily ultrasound schedule.
- Daily stocking of supplies.
- Adheres to the MGH patient privacy & confidentiality policy regarding verbal, written, and electronic patient information.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Conveys Compassion: Demonstrates awareness and shows sensitivity to others' needs.
- Respectful of Others: Considers others' viewpoints and treats others with honesty, fairness and integrity. Speaks highly of the capabilities of the hospital and its staff.
- Attentive to Others: Actively looks for ways to help customers by identifying and proposing appropriate solutions and/or services.
- Collaborates with Others: Maintains cooperative working relationships and builds team identity. Promotes a friendly, cooperative climate within the department and hospital setting.
- Accountable for Actions: Establishes a high degree of trust and credibility with others. Evokes confidence in character, abilities and truthfulness. Demonstrates efforts to succeed and excel. Guards patient privacy.
- Informative: Proactively shares information with others.
- Adaptable to Others: Manages multiple demands, shifting priorities and rapid change. Adapts plans, behavior or approaches to fit major change situations.
- Acts Professionally: Builds trust through reliability and authenticity. Demonstrates results-oriented behavior. Develops constructive, cooperative relationships with others.
- Emotionally Self Aware: Understands the implications of own emotions and manages appropriately.
- Safety: Is aware of and adheres to safety measures for both patient and staff.
- Knowledge of or familiarity with computer systems such as EPIC, powerscribe, and PACS
- Knowledge of all aspects of sonographic fetal anatomy, including the fetal heart.
- Knowledge of ultrasound imaging and ultrasound equipment.
- Knowledge of universal precautions.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Must demonstrate appropriate knowledge of the principles of growth and development of female patients from adolescence (13-17 years) through adult (26-54 years).
- In addition he/she must possess the ability to assess patient data relative to the specific needs of the patient and must provide as described in the department's policies and/or procedures.
Outpatient office setting. Must be willing to travel to offsite locations. QUALIFICATIONS:
- A minimum of high school diploma and successful completion of an accredited school of Ultrasound Technology.
- Must be certified by the RDMS (Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers).
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.