Why UT Southwestern?
With over 75 years of excellence in Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, UT Southwestern is committed to excellence, innovation, teamwork, and compassion. As a world-renowned medical and research center, we strive to provide the best possible care, resources, and benefits for our valued employees. Job Summary
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology is looking for a PRN Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) to join their team. At Clements University Hospital (CUH) we provide a full range of patient-centered labor and delivery services, all with a focus on both mom and baby. If you enjoy being a part of helping new moms and their loved ones happily welcome their new addition as a Midwife, this position could be for you! This is a rotating schedule that includes, days, nights, and weekend coverage on an as needed basis. Two to three shifts per month. 12hr or 24hr shifts. Veterans encouraged to apply. Experience and Education
- Master's degree in nursing or related field or higher degree
- Documentation of completion of accredited Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) by the Texas Board of Nursing to practice as a Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM)
- Certification as a CNM by the American Midwifery Certification Board (AMCB) or the American College of Nurse Midwives (ACNM) Certification Council
- Minimum of three (3) years' experience as a CNM
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required; Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) a plus
- Current Neonatal Resuscitation (NRP) certification.
- Completion of a First Assist at Surgery education program certified by the Certification Board Perioperative Nursing (CBPN) and certification as a Certified Registered Nurse First Assist (CRNFA) preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Serves as a member of a healthcare team that includes faculty obstetricians, Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialists, OB/GYN residents, faculty anesthesiologists, and certified registered nurse anesthetists.
- Provides ongoing coordination with the healthcare team and other CNMs in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology to provide 24/7 inpatient coverage by midwives at the UT Southwestern Clements University Hospital.
- Participates in the provision of healthcare to obstetric patients including triage assessment, management of labor and delivery, first assisting at surgery, post-partum care, discharge planning, patient education in the hospital (primarily Labor and Delivery, the Emergency Department and inpatient floor), and ambulatory OB/GYN clinics. a. Obtains and records complete medical history. b. Performs physical exams according to departmental protocols. c. Obtains and interprets laboratory tests according to departmental protocols. d. Assesses patient database and identifies biopsychosocial needs. e. Provides relevant counseling and education to patients and significant others within role limitations (such as prenatal and post-partum care, physical activity, family planning, infant and childcare, diets, medications).
- Perform procedures that are privileged and credentialed to perform within the scope of practice of a CNM in the state of Texas.
- Enhances patient transitions in care by communicating with outpatients regarding planned admissions, with inpatients regarding treatment plans and/or testing results and by participating in discharges.
- Appropriately and accurately documents all assessments, procedures and decision-making, whether in person or by telephone, in the patient's electronic medical record in a timely fashion consistent with UT Southwestern standards.
- Identifies and analyzes processes related to patient care and suggests improvements to increase efficiency, productivity, patient safety and patient satisfaction.
- Serves as a resource and educator for other midwives, nurses, medical students and residents, and facilitates teamwork and process improvement through planned group processes, i.e. workshops, seminars, and staff meeetings.
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills that convey information efficiently and accurately that support the PACT standards of care for obstetric patients and their families.
- Accountability to patients and the healthcare team to deliver safe and effective care to obstetric patients in the hospital setting. This accountability includes having solid professional judgement and awareness of the dynamic changes within the inpatient setting that on occasion would require scheduling flexibility and adjustments.
- Participates in quality and safety data collection or departmental research activities as required by the Chair of OB-Gyn (or his/her designee), the credentialing office or as deemed appropriate.
- Accuracy and ability to exercise considerable judgment.
- Ability to maintain current customer service, clinical, and technical skills.
- Ability to identify opportunities and provide suggestions for improvements in departmental policy, procedures, and protocols.
- Proficient use of EMR in the delivery of care
- Work is performed primarily in a clinical environment. The incumbent may be exposed to body fluids and infectious diseases.
- Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents in lieu of stated minimums require prior approval of the Vice President of Human Resources, or his/her designee.
To learn more about the benefits UT Southwestern offers visit https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/employees/hr-resources/
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code •51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. As an equal opportunity employer, UT Southwestern prohibits unlawful discrimination, including discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or veteran status. To learn more, please visit: https://jobs.utsouthwestern.edu/why-work-here/diversity-inclusion/ .