Provides leadership and supervision of daily operations for assigned services or patient care units. Assures the delivery of quality, patient-centered care in a manner reflective of the Medical Center’s mission, vision, values and beliefs. Possesses managerial and clinical skills appropriate to the scope of responsibility. Manages the cost center’s fiscal, material and human resources emphasizing staff retention strategies. Participates in department, division and organization-wide initiatives focusing on regulatory compliance and performance improvement. Maintains 24/7 accountability for assigned unit(s).
Supervises Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, and/or other support staff in the delivery of patient care as described in Nebraska Statute 38.
PRINCIPAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. *Commits to the mission, vision, beliefs and consistently demonstrates our core values.
2. *Develops and initiates service/program activities congruent with organizational goals.
3. *Promotes interdisciplinary and/or interdepartmental collaboration to optimize efficient and effective patient-centered care delivery.
4. *Develops, implements and analyzes adherence to organizational and service/unit specific standards of care and policies and procedures.
5. *Empowers staff to actively participate in service/unit and overall nursing practice committees/councils and to operationalize the hospital vision, beliefs and patient-centered principles; mentors staff in quality performance efforts and fosters a culture based on continuous improvement.
6. *Incorporates age-specific and cultural considerations in the delivery of patient care; ensures a patient care environment that is safe, clean, clutter-free and customer-focused.
7. *Engages in assigned hospital management, clinical and organizational meetings.
8. *Develops and manages a capital, operational and human resource budget based on strategic service/ unit priorities, best practices and organizational standards; analyzes and resolves variances.
9. *Recruits and manages staff to demonstrate behaviors consistent with Bryan beliefs and Bryan Core Values; acts as chief retention officer for area of responsibility.
10. Ensures staff members receive an orientation and ongoing educational development based upon organization and service/unit requirements and individualized employee needs/expectations.
11. Recommends prioritized annual competency requirements based on the needs and scope of the service/unit and identified job performance expectations.
12. *Conducts timely staff performance appraisals assuring staff competence while emphasizing staff retention strategies through coaching and individual development.
13. Participates in product evaluation studies and consequent decision-making activities.
14. *Ensures ongoing compliance with accrediting and regulatory standards.
15. *Promotes evidence-based practice; interprets patient, physician, staff and other customer satisfaction results and drives improvement; evaluates occurrences, patient, physician and staff concerns and seeks resolution utilizing supportive organization procedures/methods.
16. Works collaboratively with the Assistant Nurse Manager to assure that meaningful leader/employee rounding is completed according to span of control expectations.
17. *Timely, objectively, and constructively coaches staff as appropriate when practice and/or safety issues are observed or reported; ensures appropriate corrective actions are completed for staff when there is a failure to meet job performance expectations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Current Registered Nurse licensure from the State of Nebraska or approved compact state of residence as defined by the Nebraska Nurse Practice Act. Bachelor’s degree in Nursing or related field required.
Participation in progressive education to advance knowledge/skills/abilities and/or certification in area of expertise preferred.
Minimum of three (3) years of clinical experience managing clinical populations commensurate to assigned service required. Prior first line management experience desired.
OTHER CREDENTIALS / CERTIFICATIONS:
Basic Life Support (CPR) certification required. Bryan Health recognizes American Heart Association (for healthcare professionals), American Red Cross (for healthcare professionals) and the Military Training Network.