Allied Health Work Shift/Schedule:
12 Hr Morning - EveningNortheast Georgia Health System is rooted in a foundation of improving the health of our communities. About the Role:
Posting DetailsJob Summary
Performs a wide variety of support services for the department. Provides clerical support by maintaining patient records, unit supplies, equipment, and serving as a facilitator for communications for the assigned area. Performs patient care to adults and normal newborns within the cope of defined practice. Functions as a scrub Nurse in the Labor & Delivery operating rooms, and on the unit as a combination of a nursing assistant and unit secretary. This position is under the direction of a Registered Professional Nurse. This position will care for patients in the infant, adolescent, and adult age groups. Employee performs clinical duties in accordance with population specific guidelines and adheres to National Patient Safety Goals as outlined in policy and procedures. Minimum Job Qualifications
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Licensure or other certifications: Certified Surgical Tech
- Educational Requirements: High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum Experience:
Job Specific and Unique Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Preferred Licensure or other certifications:
- Preferred Educational Requirements: Satisfactory completion of a nursing assistant course.
- Preferred Experience: Previous experience as a nursing assistant or unit aide.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities
- Ability to work effectively with other departments and the general public
- Willingness to accept direction for the nursing staff
- Ability to perform the basic skills and procedures designated for unit assistants
- Typing skills preferred but not required, but must be able to operate the computer
Area/Unit Specific Essential Tasks and Responsibilities
- Functions as scrub person in the Labor and Delivery Operating Rooms and assumes other duties as assigned. Sets up cases with proper instrumentation and supplies prior to start of case. Scrubs according to established hospital OR protocols. Anticipates Surgeon's needs. Performs accurate sponge, needle, and instrument counts on all cases with RN circulator. Properly cleans room at completion of case and resets for next case. Assists with circulating nurse duties under direction of RN to provide optimum patient care. Maintains a quiet, professional demeanor during surgical procedures.
- Maintains safe and aseptic environment in L&D surgical suite and safe patient care environment in L&D area. Always maintains constant observation for breaks in aseptic technique and reports breaks to RN. Assists in room monitoring of equipment, temperature and humidity, and completes check off of anesthesia equipment following each case. Ensures proper body alignment during intraoperative phase by position monitoring checks. Observes infection control procedures. Annual participation in electrocautery in-service program. Reports any malfunctioning equipment in a timely manner. Monitors for potential hazardous conditions, i.e. wet floors. Monitors corridors for excessive equipment, supplies, etc. and returns to proper location to clear corridors and/or makes sure all extraneous equipment is placed on one side of corridor. Monitors exit doors, and elevators to make sure they are not blocked and functioning properly. Demonstrates knowledge of safe transportation means for infants and mothers.
- Contributes to productivity of the department. Expedites OR changeovers, assisting PCT with cleaning and reset of room within 15 minute timeframe. Restocks supplies on order delivery days, and as needed. Informs ordering tech, charge nurse, and/or OB Manager of supply and equipment needs in a timely manner. Demonstrates effective time management by utilizing opportunities to clean, stock, and help co-workers complete assigned tasks. Participates in the performance improvement process for the dept. by performing 6 QA&I monitors/year from indicators assigned by OB Manager, identifying at least one QI suggestion and submit in writing to dept. head., entering delivery information into delivery log and participating in unit specific committee designed for performance improvement in the obstetrical services. Facilitates effective and timely departmental communications by answering telephone, answering patient intercom and responds by directing patient request to appropriate staff or fulfilling patient request as able and pulling printed lab results and placing on appropriate patient charts.
- Demonstrates clinical competency by assisting nursing staff as requested. Greets patients and accompanies to room. Assists patient with changing and preparation for examination applying fetal monitor U/S and toco. Assists with patient data collection, obtaining initial vital signs, recording results and reporting to nursing staff. Anticipates need for and completes delivery set-ups in aseptic and timely manner. Assists with infant care at delivery, referring any questions to RN in room at delivery and/or calling for resuscitation team as needed. Assist RN with room restoration and cleanup of room prior to family visitation. Following discharge of patient from L&D, restocks room utilizing room supply checklist.
- Other duties as assigned. Files prenatal records accurately and in a timely manner. Completes patient ADT status changes in a timely manner as instructed. Acquires and maintains clinical skills necessary to provide safe patient care in a safe environment including completing unit specific clinical skills lab, current NRP and CPR, Car seat Safety Class, Annual infant abduction video and Annual Electrocautery in-service. Seeks opportunities to enhance clinical knowledge. Actively participates in the learning experience of staff and students to assist in meeting educational needs by serving as a preceptor for new staff in the role of unit assistant and surgical tech students, assisting in education of new RN staff in the OR environment, assisting Nurse Clinician with unit specific skills day teaching and demonstration. Functions as a role model.
- Provides support services for administrative functions of obstetrical services. Confirms patient visits each morning for previous 24 hour period. (previous 72 hour period on Mondays.), verifies charges on each of above mentioned patients. Enters charges into (No Suggestions) on each patient. Compiles department statistics on a monthly basis. Monitors attendance of delivery by Dads that have participated in Boot Camp and reports monitor to Director of Women and Children's Services. Verifies Outpatient charts to and from medical records each day to assure prenatal records available in a timely manner. Maintain appropriate charting materials for department.
- Assists in the efficiency of the daily operation of the obstetrical unit by maintaining and ordering supplies and equipment. Assists in the evaluation of new products. Checks and maintains medications needed for C/S room and epidural room.
Working at NGHS means being part of something special: a team invested in you as a person, an employee, and in helping you reach your goals. NGHS: Opportunities start here.
- Weight Lifted: Up to 100 lbs, Frequently 31-65% of time
- Weight Carried: Up to 50 lbs, Frequently 31-65% of time
- Vision: Moderate, Constantly 66-100% of time
- Kneeling/Stooping/Bending: Occasionally 0-30%
- Standing/Walking: %
- Pushing/Pulling: Occasionally 0-30%
- Intensity of Work: Frequently 31-65%
- Job Requires: Reading, Writing, Reasoning, Talking, Keyboarding
Northeast Georgia Health System is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not tolerate discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.