This job is considered a leader in the provision of patient care utilizing the Nursing Process within the framework of the Nurse Practice Act, ANA Code for Nurses and Scope & Standards of Practice. The RN effectively delegates, directs and assists licensed and ancillary team members; assumes accountability for quality patient outcomes; exhibits sensitivity to cultural, ethnic and religious diversity in all interactions; maintains involvement in activities aimed toward the achievement of unit and the department's strategic goals and objectives and demonstrates professional responsibility and accountability for his/her own practice and supports Ochsner's philosophy of nursing.Education
Required - Registered Nurse Diploma
Preferred - Associate's or Bachelor's degree in Nursing
Required - Current RN License in the state of practice. Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification from the American Heart Association.
Preferred -Certification in clinical specialty areaKnowledge Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Must have computer skills and dexterity required for data entry and retrieval of patient information.
- Must be proficient with Windows-style applications, various software packages specific to role and keyboard
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present information clearly and professionally to varying levels of individuals throughout the patient care process.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Effectively uses the Nursing Process in the delivery of patient care.
- Assesses learning needs and implement teaching strategies appropriate for the diverse needs of the patient, family and other groups or disciplines.
- Communicates, delegates and manages nursing team resources (human and fiscal) properly and serves as a leader and partner on the Interdisciplinary Team.
- Utilizes data, information and knowledge to evaluate and promote change in order to achieve optimal outcomes.
- Embraces concepts and behaviors that enhance customer satisfaction and employee morale and improvement in the profession of nursing.
Other related duties as required. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time.
Ochsner is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.Physical and Environmental Demands
The physical essential functions of this job include (but are not limited to) the following: Frequently exerting 10 to 20 pounds of force to move objects; occassionally exerting up to 100 pounds of force. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for sedentary work. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue.
The incumbent works in a patient care area; works in an area where patients enter; works directly with patients; and/or works with specimens that could contain communicable diseases. There may be an occupational risk for exposure to communicable diseases.