Position Summary Posting Note:
**Night Shift**Leadership/charge nurse & Level 3/4 NICU experience preferred.
The Clinical Supervisor coordinates shift operational flow in conjunction with organizational and departmental strategic goals, objectives, and standards and is the hospital's clinical representative/resource for patients, families, and the healthcare team, at both the unit and organization levels. This position provides clinical leadership of patient care services and directs supervision of nursing and support staff to ensure consistent provision of developmentally appropriate quality patient care in accordance with all applicable federal, regulatory, professional standards and requirements. Provides clinical leadership with accountability in promoting quality patient care and an engaging work environment, during assigned shift. PCH Values
Position Duties Coordinates/leads daily clinical operational activities of the unit and organization by ensuring that quality family centered care is delivered in an efficient work environment.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Collaborates with manager to lead, create, and maintain an environment that advocates for staff and promotes individual/team engagement through clinical/administrative expertise and professional leadership.
- Manages patient throughput - balances unit patient care activities while overseeing the delivery of patient care, coordinating admissions, discharges, transfers, and rounding daily on patients and families.
- Oversees staffing processes - coordinates assignments using established staffing levels that match individualized patient needs with staff competencies, and staff skill mix through ongoing assessment of patient and unit needs.
- Monitors unit environment - ensures that staff has the supplies, equipment, information, and resources needed to provide quality patient care in a safe work environment.
- Staffs, schedules, and appropriately uses nursing and support staff.
- Documentation - updates scheduling, occurrence reports, patient/family concerns, and quality indicators in the real time environment maximizing resolution prior to the end of the shift.
- Provides a report to the oncoming Clinical Supervisor or designee including the status of patient throughput, staffing processes, unit environment, schedules, occurrence reports, patient/family concerns, and quality indicators.
Achieves department/organization outcomes - aligns and manages to organization metrics.
- Demonstrates and promotes clinical leadership - serves as a clinical and systems expert with nursing and interdisciplinary team members in the assessment, development, implementation, and evaluation of the age-specific individualized patient/family-centered plan of care and documented actions.
- Accountable for promoting a culture of learning resulting in staff/team development and retention.
Takes personal responsibility to adhere to department/organization policies and procedures, compliance and regulatory agency requirements.
- Identifies, facilitates, and leads department and organization performance improvement projects that enhance patient care delivery systems as well as staff, patient, family, and customer satisfaction.
- Ensures timely completion and investigation of occurrence reports. Proactively identifies patient safety risks and participates in risk avoidance strategies.
- Takes active interest and accountability for key operational functions, including but not limited to, patient safety issues, timely resolution of complaints, quality improvement initiatives, survey preparation, and patient/family satisfaction follow-up.
- Makes decisions that demonstrate sound stewardship of financial resources - collaborates with the team to meet department/organization financial goals.
- Serves as daily operational resource to staff and in the management of supplies and equipment.
- Collaborates with the leadership team to develop, review, revise and implement evidenced based policies and procedures on an ongoing basis, to assure department consistency and compliance with hospital standards/safety and accrediting bodies including: Joint Commission, OSHA, HIPAA, Infection Control, Environment of Care, National Patient Safety Goals. Understands the linkage between department requirements and those of the integrated delivery system. Develops risk reduction and error prevention strategies by ensuring staff compliance with policy/procedures.
- Mentors staff to ensure the fundamental values of the American Nurses Association Code of Ethics in nursing are operationalized into daily clinical practice/teaching activities and work environment including:
- o 1-3: Establishes professional relationships with compassion and respect for human dignity worth, and the uniqueness of individuals, while demonstrating a primary commitment to the patient in advocating for patient privacy, health, safety and rights;
- o 4-6: Identifies the boundaries of the profession by accepting responsibility and accountability for own activities for own actions, delegating task appropriately to optimize patient care. Maintains competence with continued pursuit of activities for personal/professional growth. Influences the patient care/work environment with the values of nursing to promote respectful interactions, the promotion of safe practices, and creates a care setting that expects high quality, compassionate nursing care.
- o 7-9: collaborates with all disciplines/the community in promoting nursing excellence in meeting health care. Seeks opportunities beyond patient care to advance profession by involvement in developing, maintaining, implementing professional standards through practice/education i.e. involvement with i... Please click HERE to view full job description.