The Birth Assistant will be an integral member of the Birth Center team, providing care for the client (patient), newborn and family, during labor, birth and post-partum period. The Birth Assistant may also participate in the provision of extended post-partum care, lactation assistance, home visits, patient education programs, community outreach, and Birth Center operations, in collaboration with the Administrative Director.Position Responsibilities:
Position Qualifications Required:
- Performs an assessment of the patient, leading to development, implementation and evaluation of a plan of care.
- Administers, monitors and documents therapeutic interventions and regimes.
- Effectively manages rapidly changing situations.
- Participates in clinical decision-making.
- Educates patient and family/responsible party regarding labor, birthing, and postpartum process, individual care needs, wellness, safety issues, etc.
- Delegates and monitors care rendered by other members of healthcare team.
- Demonstrates standard precautions and patient safety principles in practice.
- Participates in orientation, education and development of healthcare team.
- Identifies and participates in the performance improvement activities.
- Maintains professional and departmental level competencies
- Provides direct patient care for antepartum, intrapartum, postpartum, and newborn.
- Participates in Birth Center orientation & patient education activities
- Completes data collection and registry input
- Maintains Birth Center supply levels, performs equipment checks
- Provides ongoing care coordination including patient call- backs & appointment scheduling
- Completes terminal cleaning and restocking of birth suites which must be done before birth assistant leaves the Birth Center
- Reports to Lead Birth Assistant, items noted to be in short supply and/or facility issues noted while cleaning
- Attends Patient Transfer review meetings
- Attends in-service & education programs, including drills
- Participates in Continuous Quality Improvement activities
- Attends regularly scheduled staff meetings, programs and emergency drills
- Performs other responsibilities as directed by the Administrative/Clinical Director
Minimum 2 years' experience in labor & delivery. Additional experience in post-partum, newborn and lactation services preferred.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Nursing. Graduate of an accredited nursing school.
Training / Certification / Licensure:
NJ RN licensure, NRP, BLS required