OHSU Maternal Crossed Trained RN support both Labor & Delivery and the Mother Baby Units to meet operational needs for both units and to provide additional flexibility in staffing for rapid census fluctuation.
Labor & delivery unit - providing intrapartum, antepartum and newborn care to low and at risk populations. Care is provided based on acuity, patient type and is in line with the Association of Obstetric, Women's Health and Neonatal Nurses Guidelines for patients care (AWHONN). Mother Baby unit - providing postpartum, newborn and antepartum care to low and at risk populations. Care is provided to mothers and their newborn infants and to antepartum patients who require periodic fetal monitoring on a typical hospital unit.
Function/Duties of Position
Hiring Bonus and Relocation Package Available
The OHSU Clinical registered nurse (RN) provides compassionate, evidence-based, and efficient care to individuals, families, communities and patient populations. The Clinical RN's care delivery is consistent with the Oregon Nurse Practice Act, the ANA Scope and Standards of Practice, and the ANA Code of Ethics. The Clinical RN demonstrates the professional role obligations of scientist, leader, and knowledge transferor [Onsomble Model of the Professional Role™]. Professional accountability enriches the Clinical RN's engagement as a leader in promoting an inter-professional culture of collaborative decision-making, innovation, life-long learning, and teamwork. The Clinical RN exemplifies the principles of a Culture of Safety by committing to a Just Culture, a Reporting Culture, a Learning Culture, and an Engaged Informed Culture.
The qualifications for this position are the minimum eligibility requirements for an interview. The level of required experience and expertise for each posted position is influenced by the current knowledge and skill of nurses within the department.
* External applicants: Baccalaureate of Science or Associates Degree in Nursing Degree from a program accredited by Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (CNEA)
* Internal applicants: Associate's Degree in Nursing
* Current, unencumbered Oregon State Registered Nurse License
* BLS at time of hire and must be issued by the American Heart Association (AHA) or Military Training Network branch of AHA (upload documentation with online application)
* BLS must not expire during orientation or probation period, and must have the same expiration date (upload documentation with online application)
* Neonatal Resuscitation Program certification (NRP);
* Communication skills including fluency in oral and written English
* Ability to lift, bend, stoop, reach, carry, push, pull and walk throughout the work period
* Able to lift 35 lbs. independently
* Complies with the safe patient mobilization policy when lifting or positioning dependent patients, including using mechanical lifts and coordinating the assistance of other personnel
* The work environment carries risk of exposure to human tissue/fluids and radiation
* Must be able to deal with competing needs and priorities of internal and external customers, including making correct judgments regarding ensuring safe conditions for patients, families, and other personnel
* Use of all hospital approved clinical equipment
* Basic computer skills including the ability to send/receive email, navigate information technology associated with the position, and use Electronic Health Record information and tools
* Current unencumbered Oregon RN license
* Annual/Biennial Department specific education requirements include:
* Annual maternal competencies
* Biennial competencies for newborn resuscitation and fetal monitoring
* Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation
Department Specific Requirements (competencies, equipment, certifications, etc.):
* One year of recent LDRP or labor & delivery experience
* 1 year of recent post-partum experience would be considered in lieu of labor & delivery experience
* Current OHSU employee, BSN Preferred
* 2 years recent experience in a high risk obstetric labor & delivery unit
* 1 year recent experience in high risk post-partum unit including newborn care
* Fluency in Spanish or other languages
* S.T.A.B.L.E. certified
* Inpatient obstetric, Maternal Newborn or fetal monitoring certification
* Recent surgical circulating and surgical scrub experience
Usual Orientation Time:
* Specialty Experience: 4-6weeks
* Experience, but not in specialty area: 12 weeks - 24 weeks
* Resource: same as above
All are welcome
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or firstname.lastname@example.org. As an organization devoted to the health and well-being of people in Oregon and beyond, OHSU requires its employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.