Surgical Technologist - Labor and Delivery UnitLocation:
Bloomsburg, PennsylvaniaJob Category:
Rotation Work Type:
GBH Medical-Surgical & OB Nursing DivisionDate Posted:
Job SummaryAre you a Surgical Technologist or a recent graduate looking to start your career as a Surgical Technologist? Join our Geisinger team today! Through professional growth, quality improvement and interdisciplinary collaboration, we've built an innovative culture that allows our staff to grow their skillset, develop their practice and leverage their years of experience to build a rewarding, lasting career with impact.
Assists surgeon with procedures related to the care of patient of all ages during surgical intervention.
- Assists in the coordination of treatments with other disciplines.
- Provides basic patient assistance.
- Connects patients to clinical equipment as needed.
- Practices aseptic techniques while preparing for surgery including scrubbing, applying surgical gown, gloving, draping and setting up instrument table.
- Actively participates in surgical Time and out and operationg room briefing according to the universal protocol.
- Identifies correct surgical site with the circulating registered nurse and surgeon before incision of operative procedures.
- Maintains an accurate account of supplies including sponges, needles and instruments.
- Verifies count with the circulating nurse at end of procedure.
- Prepares, identifies and verifies all specimens obtained during the surgical procedure.
- Disposes of linens, needles and sharps in appropriate containers.
- Assesses wounds and applies or changes sterile dressing as instructed by the registered nurse.
- Maintains and documents universal precautions.
- Initiates emergency procedures.
- Participates in the admission and discharge process.
- Performs billing as appropriate for services rendered or equipment used.
- Participates in on-call rotations of operating room.
- Acts as a preceptor for students assigned to the surgical unit.
- Adheres to all policies, protocols and standards of care.
- Performs quality control monitoring.
- Performs additional duties including specimen collection, pleure-vac and traction set up, patient transport and post-mortem care.
- Assures all medications and solutions are labeled, under the registered nurse's supervision.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
We're proud to offer:
- Up to $5.00/hr shift differentials for evening, nights and weekend shifts
- Comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance that starts day one of employment
- MyHealth Rewards wellness program to enhance personal health and reduce health plan premiums for qualified individuals
- Up to $5000 in tuition reimbursement per year
- $40k in financial support to become an RN
- Robust PTO plan in addition to six paid holidays
- Competitive 401k plan that includes automatic Geisinger contributions starting day one of employment
- Paid parental leave and military leave
- Fertility and adoption support
- Shared governance structure that empowers our Surgical Technologist
- Professional opportunities for growth and advancement
- Support and mentorship from a full range of dedicated nursing leaders
- Community involvement through our Employee Resource Groups
- Employee referral incentive program
Join the Geisinger Family! Apply now! To learn more about Geisinger opportunities, please contact Maggie Lucas. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
EducationGraduate from Specialty Training Program- (Required)
ExperienceMinimum of 1 year-Related work experience (Preferred)
Certification(s) and License(s)Certified Surgical Technologist - National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA)
Our Purpose & ValuesOUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation. SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners. Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. We know that a diverse workforce with unique experiences and backgrounds makes our team stronger. Our patients, members and community come from a wide variety of backgrounds, and it takes a diverse workforce to make better health easier for all. We are proud to be an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.