Clinicians hired to provide Education at MLKCH will perform their responsibilities in the framework set forth by Association of Nursing Professional Development [ANPD]. A defined Scope of Practice exists to articulate a systematic approach to understand the Inputs - Throughputs - Outputs directed at improvement of knowledge, skill or attitude. It is recognized that an educator needs information or data when a learning need is identified [Inputs]. Sources for this content comes from an Environmental Scan at the organizational or unit level and the learner level. Developmental and educational processes revolve around the Nursing Professional Development [NPD] Standards of Practice to contribute to the professional growth of practicing nurses and other inter-professional learners. As Inputs vary, so will the Throughputs. The Throughputs represent the 'how' and 'what" of the NPD Scope of Practice. Energy invested in the first two elements is expected to yield Outputs directed to Optimize Care and Health [inpatients, clients, community] of those served. Tactics used will enhance professional role competence or growth, change and learning at the micro or macro level from which the learning need originated.
A unit based NPD will have hospital based clinical experience, academic preparation to the role for a professional nurse, will be expected to have demonstrated actions in response to a learning need within their previous practice area. Has overall accountability for education programs for clinical and non-clinical staff in assigned units. Consideration of Age and Population Specific attributes of those receiving care is incorporated into program planning for persons delivering that care. CORE programs within Professional Practice, Development and Education consist of 1) Employee Onboarding: orientation to the organization and to the hired in department, 2) Competency Assessment: on hire and annually, and 3) job growth, development and career advancement. The unit based NDP receives the new employee on completion of General Hospital Orientation and Clinical Orientation to provide specific department based orientation, competency measurement and to support their assimilation to the unit of hire. The unit based NPD translates the Hospital Objectives, Regulatory and Quality measures, Risk or safety needs that presented at Orientation for understanding at the department level.
Contributes completed documents to employee education records. This expectation ensures staff competencies and evidence of compliance to regulatory and professional standards, improvement of quality, service levels, safety, customer satisfaction and collaborative relationships is present and current.
The position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the Mission of Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Hospital. It is expected that the employee will demonstrate behavior consistent with the Core Values. The employee shall support Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Hospital's strategic plan and the goals and direction of the quality and performance improvement process activities. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES A. Standards of Practice
B. Standards of Professional Performance
- Assessment of Practice Gaps: Analyze issues, trends and supporting data to determine the needs of individuals, organizations, and communities in relation to healthcare. Documents professional practice gaps, confirms gaps with key stakeholders. Prioritizes all learning needs based on risk to patients, the organization and strategic goals of organization.
- Identification of Learning Needs: Collects data and information to validate an identified gap in professional practice and to determine the specific knowledge, skill, or practice deficit or opportunity. Data is collected from multiple sources, documents specific learning need to match education methodology to target group. Uses analytics models or tools for assessment of need.
- Outcomes Identification: Identifies desired outcomes of the educational plan. Develops context specific outcomes based on organizational, stakeholders and learners' values, goals, current evidence and regulations. Revises outcomes to reflect trends and changes in expectations.
- Planning: Establishes a plan that prescribes strategies, alternatives, and resources to achieve expected outcomes. Develops content in collaboration with representatives of target audience or content expects. Promotes diversity by considering the cultural, ethnic, and generational differences within the learners. Determines appropriate interventions as a result of differentiating educational practice gaps from individual performance / system issues.
- Implementation: Implements the identified plan through coordination with others to facilitate a positive Learning and Practice Environment. The educational plan is designed in accordance with principles and concepts of quality improvement. Adjusts materials and strategies appropriate to the situation and the learner's developmental level, learning needs, readiness and ability to learn and incorporating language preference and cultural aspects.
- Evaluation: Evaluates progress toward attainment of outcomes. Analyzes cost and anticipated return on investment for learning activities, programs or projects. Uses valid, reliable and relevant methods and instruments to measure process and outcomes. Documents the evaluation data and disseminates the evaluation results of learning activities.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS A. Education
- Integrate ethics in all areas of practice. Incorporates the Code of Ethics with Interpretive statements, the NPD Scope and Standards of Practice and other relevant standards, guidelines, regulations and laws to guide practice. Protects autonomy, dignity, confidentiality and rights of all individuals involved in the learning process. Performs role in non-judgmental, nondiscriminatory and ethical manner that is sensitive to learner diversity.
- Education: Maintains current knowledge and competency in nursing and professional development practice. At least annually participates in educational activities specific to the NPD specialty. Using reflective practice and inquiry, identify personal learning needs. Determines future needs of NPD practitioners.
- Evidence-Based Practice [EBP] and Research: Acts as a champion of scientific inquiry, generating new knowledge and integrating best available evidence into practice. Supports research activities that align with the organizational strategic plan.
- Quality of NPD Practice: Systematically enhances the quality and effectiveness of NPD practice. Develops, measures and analyzes NPD department quality outcomes to demonstrate impact on nursing acre delivery like patient outcomes, nurse competency and practice improvements.
- Change Management: Acts as a change agent in all settings. Introduces new ideas to problem solve unit deficits, identifies potential barriers to change, works to identify solutions and supports improvement processes to reach targets. Serves to advocate the need for adoption of proposed change. Assists in the measurement of change to reinforce progress being made.
- Leadership: Provides leadership in a professional practice setting and the profession. Contributes to healthy work environments. Demonstrates emotional intelligence in decision-making. In the delivery of educational programming, positions a learning event to an organizational goal to facilitate understanding of "WHY" this learning event is offered and performance outcomes once learning event completed.
- Collaboration: Collaborates with Inter-professional Teams, leaders, stakeholders, and others to facilitate nursing practice and positive outcomes for consumers. Build partnerships and coalitions to enhance health care through inter-professional initiatives, i.e quality improvement and organizational initiatives.
- Professional Practice Evaluation: Evaluates personal practice in relation to professional practice standards and guidelines, and relevant statutes, rules and regulations. Supports peer review though involvement in the MLKCH Shared Governance structure at the Hospital or Unit committee level. Seeks feedback regarding personal practice from learners, inter-professional colleagues, peers, supervisors and others as appropriate.
- Resource Utilization: Considers factors related to quality, safety, effectiveness and cost regarding professional development activities and expected outcomes. Seeks to involve unit based experts from every level in the development and delivery of educational programs, revision to policy or procedures and subsequent EHR changes. Participates as directed to Hospital product committee; Diagnosis or Quality teams, i.e Resuscitation; and Nursing committees, i.e Infection Control. Collaborates with Dir., Professional Practice and Education to forecast routine capital budget needs; equipment replacement or change out, technology, teaching affiliations and methodologies.
- Mentorship / Advancing the Profession and specialty through mentoring and contributions to the professional development of others. Shares knowledge and skill with others through activities such as presentations at meetings, professional conferences or organizations. Actively precepts nurses from academic program affiliates to support their academic degree achievement.
- Bachelor of Science degree in nursing; Master's in Nursing or Nursing related required (individuals without a Master's will be required to complete the degree within 2 years of their hire date).
- Minimum of two (2) years of clinical nursing experience required. At least one (1) year in Labor & Delivery, Postpartum, Well Baby Nursery and assisting urgent C-sections. Experience with criteria for Achieving Baby Friendly Recognition. Educator experience in an hospital setting preferred; can demonstrate examples of unit based in services,, instructor for L&D/OB specific Training program, i.e Versant, new equipment, new policy or unit based quality indicator and principles for successful breastfeeding.
- Current California Nursing license.
- Certification in Staff Development or Emergency Department (CNS) preferred.
- Experience with implementing or updating an Electronic Medical Record preferred.