The Lactation Consultant RN develops a breastfeeding program to include parent and staff education, updating of protocols, consultation and follow-up.
*ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE ROLE*
* Advocates breastfeeding as an optimal nutritional approach for the infant to health care multidisciplinary team and parents who are interested in breastfeeding, including bedside consultation, classes, and reading materials.
* Evaluates parent's interest in breastfeeding and infant's readiness to breastfeed, and determines individualized care to assist mothers with breastfeeding, providing one-on-one bedside consultation and in-hospital follow-up.
* Provides education for staff on protocols, care plans, and general breastfeeding information and updates.
* Documents teaching and response in the chart. Reports findings to appropriate staff.
* Evaluates effectiveness of breastfeeding program and redesigns as needed.
* Participates in data collection and neonatal outcomes reporting related to breastfeeding.
* Discusses breast pump rental, and/or buying a breast pump, if indicated, providing necessary information and demonstration of pump equipment.
* Participates in discharge education related to breastfeeding and developmental issues.
* Post discharge, follows up by phone contact or by family returning for weight check and or lactation consult as indicated.
*KEY SUCCESS FACTORS*
* Advanced understanding of the process and benefits of lactation for mothers and infants.
* Ability to provide age-specific, quality, patient-centered care to mothers and infants through the nursing process and standards of nursing practice with sensitivity and respect for the diversity of human experience and to develop, evaluate, implement and, as necessary, modify a patient care plan to meet the needs of individual patients.
* Able to perform tasks independently without need for routine oversight.
* Must be able to communicate thoughts clearly; both verbally and in writing.
* Interpersonal skills to interact with a wide-range of constituencies.
* Must have critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
* Able to maintain a calm and helpful attitude, even under times of stress, and take appropriate and reasonable steps to resolve issues.
* General computer skills, including but not limited to: using required software applications, data entry, information security, electronic medical documentation, hand held scanning and email.
Our competitive benefits package includes the following
* Immediate eligibility for health and welfare benefits
* 401(k) savings plan with dollar-for-dollar match up to 5%
* Tuition Reimbursement
* PTO accrual beginning Day 1
Note: Benefits may vary based upon position type and/or level
EXPERIENCE: 2 Years of Experience
* Basic Life Support (BLS)
* Inter Ntl BC Lactation Consult (IBCLC)
* Registered Nurse (RN)